Thompson,
Craig. Blankets. Marietta, Georgia:
Top Shelf Productions, 2003. PDF file.
Annotation:
Craig
thinks back to his childhood memories of times he spent with his brother. The
struggles he went through during his teen years with bullying and experiencing
love for the first time. As well as understanding his belief, Christianity.
Justification for Rejection:
Blankets starts out with
Craig sharing a bed with his brother, Phil. Throughout the book, stories of
times he had spent with his brother in that bed and the memories. He questions
himself on why he wasn’t able to protect his brother. As they grow up, they
start to grow apart.
Craig
meets his first love, Raina, at Church Camp during the winter, which later
leads to him spending two weeks with her in Michigan. Upon his arrival to
Raina’s home, she gifts him with a quilted blanket with patches that reminded
her of him. Craig learns about Raina’s family. Her parents were going through a
divorce and how she feels responsible to care for her two adopted siblings and
niece.
With
Craig’s return back home, he felt that they were able to stay connect and
handle a long distance relationship, but Raina starts to distance herself. In
the end, she asks for a mutual break up and continues to stay friends. Upon his
return home, Craig reconciles with Phil in order to build up their relationship
again.
Craig’s
parents are devoted Christians. He has a hard time in finding himself and
finding peace with Christianity and God. He felt God had turned his back on him
when he drew a picture of a naked woman, but was soon able to find peace with
him again after spending time with Raina. His Pastor asked him to consider
going into the ministry, his parents even suggests that he consider him to not
go to art school but a church college.
Craig
soon felt his faith crashing down on him when he started questioning the bible
of contradictory. Not being able to accept what his pastor had told him that it
should be “…recognized…as a growth process of the Bible (549).” Moving out of his parent’s home, Craig only
returned on certain occasions and sometimes for the holidays. He was unable to
tell his parents he no longer was Christian.
Blanket was
a great coming-of-age story that let us go on a journey experiencing Craig’s
childhood memories, his first love, and faith in Christianity. Thompson did a
good job referencing different childhood story as his flashback in order to see
what fit into his currently young adult life.
The
message that was being put out there didn’t seem to exactly make sense to me
and confused me. The cover sparked my interest and the simple title, Blanket, had me wanting to know what the
book was about. Reading it, I felt frustrated and had a hard time relating to
the character of the story. Though it’s sort of an autobiography of the author,
I just couldn’t grasp the feeling or idea of the story to keep me interested. I
continued reading it hoping that I would be able to find something I could
relate to, but even as I proceeded to reading it I grew less and less
interested. I started skipping pages, but eventually was able to tie the story
together. In a way, I was unable to relate myself to the character’s religious
belief, since I feel like I’ve never struggled to find peace with my belief. I
like the specs of his flashback of his childhood, as I at times like to look
down memory lane and relate it to my young adult life.
I
had high expectation for the book but it left me hanging by a thread. I feel
that there is something missing, but I can’t seem to figure out what it is.
Thompson ties together three different concepts together: childhood, first
love, and Christianity. Though in a way it was well put together and it was a
good read, I felt it jumped from one concept to another, and trying to somehow
tie the concept together whether it was: childhood and Christianity,
Christianity and love, love and childhood, or all three at once.
Genre: Graphic Novel | Coming-of-Age
No comments:
Post a Comment