Myers, Walter Dean. Monster. New York, New York: Harper Collins, 2008. EPub Edition.
Annotation
Having been in the wrong place at the wrong time, Steve Harmon is accused of murder. Only sixteen, he's put on trial, and yet he doesn't understand the reason why. He decides to write his experience of what happens in a notebook that they have given
Justification for Nomination
Steven Harmon is on trail for murder, but doesn't understand why. He's been accused of having been on the look out for the "all clear" in order to help a group of boys rob and kill the drugstore owner. The only problem was, he didn't know what was happening, as he was just making his way in, in order to buy some mint. Written in character as Steven Harmon explains what happens throughout the days that the spends in jail, in court, talking to his parents, and speaking with his lawyer.
Monster was an overall interesting book. The format of the movie script gives the reader a feel as if they are watching it on film. For me, it felt so real and it felt that I was actually there.
The book has had many positive and negatives reviews but I found this book to be interesting and to my liking. Steve is just a kid who goes into a drugstore to buy something, he doesn't expect his life to change drastically because of something he sees or find out. He doesn't get asked question on whether he was part of the killing and robbing, but is just assumed to have had some part in it.
Though the title speaks a good message, I did find some frustration with it. I think that message that was pointed didn't exactly relate to teens in their everyday life. Yes, we make bad choices and sometimes we do things that we should be doing. I just thought that the message could have been more clear. Steve is not a monster, at least from my perspective. He's only consider a monster because he is African American and he's expected to have been the suspect.
A great mystery book that keeps you wondering and asking. A well received message that gets across, but again, something I don't feel teen can easily relate to. I actually was drawn by the title and the cover. It was something different something more interesting. The book definitely took me by surprise as I hadn't expected that kind of story.
Genre Coming-of-Age | Multicultural | Mystery | Crime | Printz
No comments:
Post a Comment